24 March 2022

Where I Am is Where I Was

Where I am now.

I’m not here right now.

I’m in Paris, walking through the Louvre. I’m marveling at the dizzying array of art and wondering how much we can expect to see in one visit.


I’m in Rome, sitting down for dinner in a restaurant. Everything we’ve eaten in Italy so far has been delicious and we’re eagerly anticipating this meal.


I’m standing in front of a class of middle school students, teaching them about the causes of the Civil War. Students are mostly engaged, and the lesson is going well. 


I’m in Boston, sitting with a date in a bar ordering another round. We like each other but both know there's no future in our relationship. We have fun just the same.


I’m on Highway Five south of Salinas, hitchhiking to a friend’s wedding in Orange Country. I’m with a friend but we’re both lonely. Soon we'll get a ride and everything will feel better. The wedding will be a blast and I'll meet someone.


I’m in Tilden Park, tripping on LSD. There are two friends with me. We’re discussing how the trees and hills have trails. It's a new world.


I’m in New York at Zabar’s eating a bagel and lox. My wife and I are people-watching and talking about our sight-seeing plans for the day.


I’m in Chico typing a story for the newspaper on my Royal typewriter. I’ve got a cigarette going and there’s a coffee spiked with whiskey within arm’s reach. I love being a reporter.


I’m in Finland sitting in a wood sauna, happily sweating, eagerly anticipating leaping into a lake then having a beer. A perfect day is about to climax wonderfully.


I’m in Hawaii sitting on the beach. I’m alternating between frolicking in the water and watching pretty girls in bikinis.


I'm in London watching my favorite team play. The stadium is packed and the fans are singing, chanting, cheering. It's exhilarating


I’m in Mexico eating seafood at a restaurant by the ocean. The day is glorious especially as I’m with the love of my life.


I’m in San Francisco at a baseball game with my father. We’re eating sandwiches, watching the action and sharing observations. What could be better?


I’m in San Francisco at a baseball game with my daughter. We’re eating sandwiches, watching the action and sharing observations. What could be better?


I’m in Sacramento walking to work. It’s a warm day that promises to be hot but it’s Friday and I’ve got weekend plans so am in a good mood.


I’m in Berkeley at Memorial Stadium watching the Golden Bears. They’re winning so my spirits are high. I yell lustily reveling in the escape from my cares.


I’m in Mendocino at a huge barbecue on the beach. There are nearly a hundred people in attendance, some of whom are women my age who I’ve got an eye on.


I’m in Los Angeles playing with my soccer team for the state championship in my age group. I score the winning goal in overtime and rejoice. 


I’m at the hospital with my wife who is giving birth to our first child. The magic of the moment is indescribable. 


I’m at the hospital with my wife who is giving birth to our second child. The magic of the moment is indescribable. Again.


I’m in San Francisco teaching an ESL class. Students are talking in groups and I’m enjoying how enthusiastically they share thoughts, ideas and opinions.


I’m at the park with my daughters. They’re on play structures having a great time. Watching them, I am too.


I’m at a movie theater with my wife. We’re about to watch a film we’ve eagerly anticipated. We hold hands for a few seconds. I love her.


I’m coaching a soccer team. I stand on the sidelines stoically watching them, planning my next substitution and my halftime talk.


I’m working on my novel, writing a new scene with a new character in it. Challenging. But fun.


I’m in a chair reading a book. It is quiet in the house and outside. Perfection.


I’m at a party in Chico with friends. We’re drunk, happy and laughing. I occasionally break away from my companions to dance, hoping to make a connection with some girl.


I’m in my room listening to the newest Beatles album. I’m entranced, loving the rhythm, the bass, the voices, the words. 


I’m talking to my daughters. They’re grown now. I realize that they are smarter than me. I suppose that they were raised well. I'm proud.


I'm in the car next to my father. He's driving us home from a visit to my Uncle's house. I couldn't feel more secure.


I’m here now. Typing this on my MacBook Air. In my office. At my desk. Enjoying the pictures I have on the wall. Enjoying my memories. Looking forward to making more.


No comments: