23 June 2021

Amazon Reviewers Trash Great Films

Nomadland

It's time for another edition of Amazon reviewers say the darnedest things. I have again copy and pasted one-star reviews from Amazon customers for critically claimed, mostly beloved, films (all are beloved by yours truly). Again I looked at A LOT of reviews before selecting my "favorites." I notice that people who give bad reviews to good films are often grammatically-challenged and not keen on spelling. There's also a disproportionate percentage of bad reviews that come from conservatives -- people not generally known for sophisticated taste. Enjoy!

Nomadland

It was boring, a boring story of boring people doing boring things for no apparent (or implicit) reasons. It looked and felt like a boring documentary. Deadpan, all of it, including Frances McDormand who portrays the emotion-less woman she always plays. The book from which it was adapted was non-fiction as the movie was apparently supposed to copy. I can see no reason to watch the movie. If you want a non-fiction boring story of boring people doing boring things for no apparent (or implicit) reason, you might read the book. I haven't.

Goodfellas

These mafia stories always tell the same story about fellas, food and killing. Every scene the same crap.

Chinatown

Crap. Too slow movie. No subject.

La Dolce Vita

I understand that some movies are "classics," but that doesn't necessarily make them good. There were no likable characters in this film, no one to relate to, no story or plot, it's just following this womanizing guy in a downward spiral who goes around town in this nonsensical fashion meeting all these strange people that you never see again. It doesn't make any sense. I guess it's supposed to be ironic--that what people think would be "The Sweet Life" is anything but, but I didn't need 3 hours of terribleness to portray that irony.

Persona
Persona

I hate this movie. I hate it. I love artful movies and metaphor but this film is just made to piss you off. And it super pissed me off. So congrats Ingmar. Mission accomplished. I'm pissed. Also be forewarned, there are disturbing images at the opening of the film. Really disturbing. Still pissed. Watch Tarkovsky instead.


Shampoo

Spoilers at the end of my review. I read other reviews wondering what I missed here. It's just Warren Beatty pacing, fluffing hair, pacing, riding a motorcycle, pacing, and getting laid. I came here for director Hal Ashby's realism, humor, and buck-against-the-system philosophy. The plot was so directionless, but maybe that was Ashby's point, that this hairstylist has no direction in his life. Warren Beatty is hairstylist George, a character so mediocre in his basic male drive for sex with beautiful women. Goldie Hawn as his flighty girlfriend was about as interesting as a bobby pin with her basic female need to marry. So what's the story? Men and women want different things out of life? I don't need to watch 2 hours of Beatty wandering here and there to know that. The best scene was Jack Warden, playing a stiff, gruff millionaire who collects politicians, wandering drunkenly through a hippy house party, smoking a joint and then stripping to get into a hot tub with a young naked couple. His why not join them epiphany was hilarious. Later he finds out the couple he's admiring having great sex is Beatty banging Jack Warden's mistress. Disillusioned, he wanders off. It was the most poignant moment in the movie. I felt bad for the guy. Out of all the characters paraded through Shampoo, Jack Warden is the only one who has any humanity to him. Whether it was written that way or Jack Warden just stole every scene he was in due to his great acting chops, I don't know! Beatty ends up in a chase scene at the end that you feel he's going to kill himself on that motorcycle madly pursuing this mistress. In the end, Beatty is just a pretty player with no prospects, Goldie Hawn dumps Beatty and finds true love in a successful man who treats her right, and the mistress rejects Beatty's impulsive marriage proposal for the gruff millionaire. I think maybe Hal Ashby delivered exactly what he meant to, but man, 2 hours to realize George is an aimless loser was just asking too much.

Apocalypse Now

This movie is out there I think the writers and producers where tripping on acid this movie is one of the top 5 worst movies I’ve ever seen

Wings of Desire

First of all, this film is rated PG-13, and I've only survived 53 minutes of it and so far there is nudity (bare breast) and scenes of dead bodies, including children. I unfortunately have to finish watching this for a university class but I'd rather slam my finger in a door.

City Lights

I thought the music was very well put together for that time . is very creative very funny. It is an insult to blind people several flaws in the movie several misconceptions but you know it is a movie and that’s what people say but they don’t realize hell other people take movies that are just movies and not real life and then people get them all mixed up and then take that perception

Red River

We've outgrown this foolishness.

A Streetcar Named Desire

did not like the movie.it was depressing and really boring.

a waste of money..the aching was horfible ,carl mouldens nose took the crnter stage, and the street cars

character portrayed illiterate white trash

The Great Escape
The Great Escape

This movie is pure propaganda for "The Good War," in which anglophone racial-Europeans worldwide turned on their German brothers to take sides instead with an ancient arch-enemy who hates them, thus condemning themselves, all of their descendants, and all remaining native Europeans in toto to the cultural, spiritual, and racial negation & annihilation we're witnessing today. No thanks, not interested.


The Seven Samurai

I bought this movie because it appears towards the top of many 'best 100 movies' lists. But whereas many other classics have transcended the era of their creation, this one did not. In fact I cannot fathom how it ever survived beyond the date of its release. It's only distinguishing characteristics are its length and puerile storyline. I watched and waited for the moment when it would blossom. I waited in vain. Trite rubbish which owes its rating to cult following.

No Country For Old Men

I cannot for the life of me understand why this horrible movie got so many awards. So what if the acting is good because the plot is as thin as it gets and very cliche. It's almost as if the Coen brothers just wanted to show a new method of killing and built this psychopath and a next-to-nothing storyline around that weapon. This is the second time I watched it. At least I started to. I thought, well maybe I will get something out of it this time around. Nope. About thirty minutes in it's a waste of my time. Senseless, gratuitous violence at every turn. Not any suspense either. You always know what's coming. Boring and awful.

Clouds of Sils Maria

Absolutely, without a doubt, THE MOST meaningless movie, EVER!

Simply about "moving on"... About getting old and pushed over for the new.

I wanted to break my TV!!

It Happened One Night

Awful. Watched about half of it and couldn't stand it any more. All I remember was a spoiled rich girl and a goofy guy riding in the back of a bus. First they're on the bus. Then they're off the bus. Then they're on the bus again. Then rich girl gets her ugly purse stolen. Then they're back on the bus again. I was starting to get car sick. Around about this time I opened another bottle of wine and noticed the neighbors were having a party, so I took the rest of my wine across the street.

Milk

Done as a tribute to the late San Francisco public servant, Harvey Milk, it is not accurate but is designed to cause the viewer to feel sorry for Milk and his sexual opinions. I have worked as a local public servant-upper manager in a couple locations for over 12 years and can tell you that if I had dared to promote any sexual cause, I would have been fired after one warning. The fact Milk promoted a medically proven unhealthy and risky lifestyle relentlessly, demonstrates liberal hypocrisy at that time-place. Sean Penn has been an 'A' list actor making almost anything he is in gripping and fascinating. He is the only reason the film gets one star. A film about standing up for behavior you believe in is fine ... unless what that behavior has been known to be immoral by virtually every society and religion. As the saying goes, sometimes Bad is BAD! The movie ignores that Milk was friends with and gave endorsements to psycho cult leader Jim Jones who murdered over 900 people at Jonestown. Another close friend of Milk's, Gerard Dols, nowadays laments the behavior of Milk and his obsession with gay agendas. Google his testimony. Milk accomplished next to nothing for mainstream voters in California. Instead he spent his career selfishly pushing his sexual agenda. He was not murdered for being gay, but got in the way of a mentally ill ex-employee, yet the homosexual community looks for every opportunity for self-promoting themselves. You don't glorify someone for their sex practices and how proud they are of them. The movies acceptance and promotion of the dangerous homosexual lifestyle which has already cost Americans billions in health care for various diseases-treatments-experiments. Truly honorable men have intelligence, and are positive role models. Harvey Milk and this film spins dangerous decisions into good. The flick is fairly boring too. Be careful not to rent it by mistake.

Get Out
Get Out

The most obnoxious and annoying cast I can ever remember seeing in a movie. The main character is the only saving grace. It's so absurd and unbelievable I almost stopped watching it. Aside from the cringe-worthy cast, the story line is just race-baiting garbage, which is of course why it had such an amazingly high score on Rotten Tomatoes. Of course, I know never to take their recommendation, but I dropped a ball here, and ended wasting almost 2 hours of my life. It’s clearly aimed at manifesting ‘white guilt’ in the subconscious whoever sees it, and deliberately deepening racial divides in our youth. These, as far as I can see, are the only reasons it’s being so overly hyped and praised. They want white folk to watch this and actually feel guilty. They want black folk to watch it and feel persecuted. Don’t fall for it.

Cabaret

Meant for slower times years ago. ZZZZ

Nashville

A long, boring self-referential, self-indulgent, condescending crap on the brains of Americans -- and on the Kennedy Brothers -- by the pseudo-human Mutant Hollywood Turtle Insiders.

Inglourious Basterds

I'm losing IQ points trying to "get" the reason why anyone would want to make this movie. Gratuitous graphic violence? and demeaning to women??..."you two girls go inside while Daddy talks to the bad man" "I'm a man and everyone knows I am smarter than any bitch so I don't have to shoot her in the back running away.". "I'm a man in charge of a bunch of men who scalp people and that makes me smarter than any woman in France". "My deep southern accent must make me sound the dumbest cluck in the coop". Thus demeaning any southerner because they have a distinct accent...Too bad the leader wasn't from Brooklyn. Then he would ahve been thought of as much smarter. YES Rebecca I understand satire...this is just a BAD movie IMHO

No comments: