03 May 2022

This Post is Dedicated to the One I Love (My Lovely Missus)


I love this song from the Mamas and Papas. When I was a teenager I had a massive crush on Michelle Phillips who sings lead on Dedicated. I've often wished I had a time machine with which I could go back to the Sixties and hook up with her. But I'm so happy with the love of my life (I had the sense to marry the woman of my dreams) that I'd never actually go. 

When I visited the video on You Tube today I noted -- unsurprisingly -- that I'm not alone in my affection for the song and to many others it has an especially deep meaning. Here's a sampling of  comments that people have left:

I came back from Vietnam and my wife would sing this song to me at night when i woke up screaming. Memories are not always good. Been tough since she died. I miss her more than i can say. Goodnight baby.

I lost my mam last month. She battled stage IV cancer for 7 years. This is the song she asked to be played at her funeral. I miss her more than words can say 💔

My mom died in 1966 when I was 8  years old. When this song would come on the radio I knew that it was from her. I'd listen to it every night  before going to bed. That was her goodnight kiss.

When a song you’ve heard 100 times still gives you the chills. . . .

If you ever need to teach a music student how vocal arrangement and dynamics works – this is the song. Michelle Phillips start the song so softly, and then John, Denny, and Cass come in with those powerful vocals and beautiful arrangement. Still makes my hair stand on end after all these years. What a classic composition and performance.

It's like a voice from heaven when Michelle opens this song.

Always brings a tear. So good, and moving. Michelle's gentle voice gives me goosebumps.

Que bonita, Michelle no cabe duda que bien dicho esta, "disfruta de la juventud" que cuando se llega a viejo no hay vuelta atrás!!! 
Saludos desde México

The vocals on this song! The harmonies, mein Gott. Just stellar. Up there with anything the Beatles or the Beach Boys ever did... in terms of vocal arrangement.

Odd. Michelle is singing the lead in this song and doing it beautifully and most of the  comments I see are about her looks and how great mama Cass' voice was.  I would have thought some people would actually acknowledge that Michelle could sing and that she was a big part of their sound.  She wasn't just a pretty face.

Now I´m 68 years and I remember I made my first steps kissing a girl during this song. I think I have a bit tears in my eyes.

This was my mom and Dad's Song... They loved to dance this... RIP DAD I MISS YOU!!!

Le souvenir est trop fort et mes larmes sont infinies . Nous n'avons pas d'image, seulement le son, c'est tellement dommage. MERCI POUR CE SOUVENIR TRÈS PUISSANT. c'est le meilleur de ma vie.

Whenever I listen to this song I think of soldiers fighting in Viet Nam and thinking of their loved ones back home.   Sad and haunting song, beautifully composed.  Plus, Michelle Phillips  looked like an angel on Earth in this video.

No comments: