06 August 2021

Random Thoughts From The Blogger -- Fun and Interesting

Josephine Baker

Jimmy Stewart was too old to play the leads in at least three of his films: Vertigo, Bell, Book and Candle and The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance.

Anyone know why occasionally crows will meet en masse in one area and squawk up a storm? It’s like they’re having a convention.


Thank you iPhones for telling me a call is a Spam Risk. That always warrants an immediate decline and saves me from wondering if there’s really someone in Poughkeepsie who needs to talk to me.


Before I leave the topic, allow me to say this: people who make spam calls should fuck all the way off.


I eat a banana everyday and use a second on days I make smoothies. My complaint is that bananas turn brown and soft much too soon. You can’t stock up on them. Can somebody get to work on that?


Buying and mailing thank you cards for a simple birthday or Christmas gift is a colossal waste of paper. Shouldn’t a verbal thank you suffice? Of if necessary, an emailed thanks. What the hell are you supposed to do with the card? Put it on your mantle and admire it for weeks? No, you recycle that sucker.


For most of my life I thought of conservatives as being wrong about most everything. Now I see them — and this based entirely on their actions and words — as being stupid as hell and in many cases downright evil. They are also lying liars who lie a lot. Who do we trace this back to? Reagan? Nixon? Goldwater? They were three especially bad apples. Now the whole orchard is a mess. Oh, I forgot to mention that your average conservative today is also a racist.


I thoroughly enjoyed the first season of Kevin Can F**k Himself, starring Annie Murphy. Not like any TV show I’ve seen before. Actually it’s like a couple of different kinds of show I’ve seen, mashed together. 


In newspaper columns of yore this kind of thing I’m writing here was often referred to as, Thoughts While Shaving, which always suggested to me that some columnists spent way too much time shaving.


Isn’t fresh fruit great? Special shout out to peaches.


What olympics?


I miss people being called “a jive turkey.”


From the legendary Ruth Buzzi: I’ve done a few things I’m not too proud of. For instance, I sold my homing pigeon on eBay 211 times.


This is America today: Sixtenn cases of alleged voter fraud out of 160 million votes in 2020: let's pass 400 new voter suppression laws. 614,000 deaths from COVID: who needs vaccines?


Would it be appropriate to set up a go fund me page so that I could go to Italy and eat some really good pasta? I mean, I REALLY want to.


It’s a shame so few people today know about Josephine Baker. She should be remembered not only as an entertainer, but as a humanitarian. Great woman.


I have a great idea for a film that anyone is welcome to steal. The story of the publication of Uncle Tom’s Cabin and the furor it caused. It was one of the controversies that led to the Civil War. A good screenwriter and director could make a helluva film about it. 


Does anyone not like ducks? What’s not to like? I saw someone with a trained pet duck. Pretty cool.


I have a package on the way. It was originally scheduled to arrive today. I've been tracking it. Wednesday it arrived here in Berkeley yet the estimated arrival date was pushed back to Saturday. ???? Thursday it went to Emeryville. ???? Today it's back in Berkeley and still slated to arrive tomorrow. Crazy.


I had a psychiatrist who told me that he had a patient who confessed to murdering her husband. Due to patient-client confidentiality rules he couldn't pass along this tidbit to the coppers. She is a free woman today. Odd to be the doctor and possess that knowledge.


Are you a cinephile? (I am.) If so you owe to yourself to subscribe to the Criterion Channel. Such a selection of great films to watch. You'll create a list and never be able to catch up because they'll be new releases the next month and your list will grow. But what fun. Check it out. 


I guess now there's going to be a clamor for more of these "random thoughts" posts. I'll do my best. Thanks for reading.



No comments: