28 October 2020

I Comment on Today's Headlines, Seventh in a Regular Series

Here's hoping this man is president-elect next week

In July I came up with the brilliant idea of posting some of the day's headlines from various news sources and writing comments about them that were either pithy, snarky, wise or brilliantly on point (or a combination thereof). The response was so overwhelming (thank you, Uriah Clydesdale of Spotsylvania Courthouse, VA) that I have since offered readers additional editions, to enthusiastic acclaim (by which I mean dead silence). Here then is part seven in what is now a regular and beloved feature of this blog.

From The NY Times:

90,000 Told to Flee as California Fires Nearly Double in Size

California is (no pun intended) a hot mess. Thanks to the climate change that our current idiot-in-chief denies is real, that state is once again ravaged by wildfires and there's every reason to believe that such will be the case every year. Electing Joe Biden president will not magically cure all ills but it will finally mean a step in the right direction. Climate change surpasses even Covid as the number one crisis facing our planet and the United States should be among the countries at the forefront of efforts to combat it.

A Divided Nation Agrees on One Thing: Many People Want a Gun

Such is the state of things in Trumpian American that many people are buying their first guns while others are stockpiling weapons. Faith has been lost in our institutions and many citizens feel they have to protect themselves. This will not end well.

As Election Nears, Trump Makes a Final Push Against Climate Science

See what I'm talking about? We have (hopefully only for a few more months) a president who denies science. Science! According to Merriam-Webster science is: "the state of knowing : knowledge as distinguished from ignorance or misunderstanding." Yup, a world leader who opposes knowledge and supports ignorance and misunderstanding. Vote everybody, for the love of god, vote.

From the BBC:

Police officer raiding illegal cockfight gets killed by rooster

I suspect fowl play.

Philadelphia rocked by fresh unrest after police shooting

What's this? The police shot and killed an African-American? What else is new. According to the story: "Mr Wallace, 27, had bipolar disorder, and his wife told officers this before they shot him, a lawyer representing his family said." The deceased was holding a knife at the time which he refused to put down. For this they shot him to death? At worst couldn't they have shot the arm holding the knife? They really thought they had to kill the brother? Fucking police....

Kim Kardashian West mocked for 'humble' birthday party on private island

As well she should be. The lives of the rich and clueless. As one person wrote on twitter: "I felt I've never truly understood the French Revolution until now."

From SF Gate:

'This would not have happened with Roger Ailes': Trump upset that Fox News ran Obama's speech

Poor 'lil Trumpy having to deal with the fact that he doesn't have complete and total control of a network. Boo hoo.

Hundreds of Trump supporters stuck in the cold for hours when buses can't reach Omaha rally

I'm trying really hard but cannot seem to muster any sympathy for people who support a serial sexual offender, congenital liar, racist and narcissist for president. Wish I could.

Multi-love: What it's like to have more than one partner in the pandemic

Another reminder of how glad I am that there was no such pandemic when I was in my late teens and twenties. I'm neither proud nor ashamed to say that as a young man I was what was once called a "swinger." Parties, nightclubs and bars were milieu. I was promiscuous and sought females who were similarly inclined. Being sidelined by a pandemic would not have sat well with me and given my love of spirits and drugs I would have found ways to continue my pursuits. I might well have met a premature end. 

From The Washington Post:

Stock market slide muddles Trump’s economic message days before 2020 election

Hey look everybody? Actual good news from the stock market, actual meaningful news from the stock market. Although I must say that Trumpy's message was pretty muddled to begin with.

Trump’s attacks on adversaries often followed by threats to their safety

When Trumpy assails a public official, be they a sitting governor or a health expert, there follows a slew of threats against his target by the president's idiotic followers. The man inspires hate and like no president before him sows division. He has endangered the lives of countless people across the country.

Pandemic depression is about to collide with seasonal depression. Make a plan, experts say.

I don't fully understand this because my seasonal depression comes in the Spring. (I'm nothing if not a contrarian.) I tend to have less depression come November, December and January with a slight uptick in the two months following with full blown depression accompanying April and May. But I certainly can sympathize with having other factors combine with pandemic depression to create a horrible brew of super-sized sadness. As with millions of others, the pandemic has made my depression more acute, as has the on-going nonsense coming out of the White House. Hopefully next week's election will be a curative. Meanwhile -- and at all times -- it is good to have a plan. I have certain routines I try to rigidly follow and different sort of treats and rewards to look forward to. It's important to reach out (easier said than done during a pandemic) and find support systems. We are not alone.


No comments: