11 June 2023

Did You Just Google Me? Then Drop Me a Line (Contact Info In Post)

Did I look like this when you knew me?

Were you looking for me? Is this someone who decided to google me (I like to be googled but then I've always been  into kinky stuff) and in so doing came across my blog? Well here I am. And who pray tell are you? A classmate from high school? Not as far back as junior high (Garfield) or elementary school (Jefferson). If you go back that far it may interest you to know that both schools have been re-named. The former has been King Middle School for many decades now (I suppose the full name is something like Dr. Martin Luther King Junior Middle School but everyone just calls it King). The latter is Ruth Acty Elementary named for the long-time Berkeley teacher who was the first teacher of color in the district. I had her as a teacher in junior high (hey! Maybe we were in her class together!).

Maybe instead of K-12 we went to college together. Maybe we were on the soccer team or for that matter we might have been teammates on one of the many teams I played on in my youth (when dinosaurs roamed the Earth). Maybe we were in college at the same time but had no classes together. We could have met in the dorm, for that matter you might be an old roommate. I had quite a few in my college and immediate post-college days. 


It would be really cool if we had been on the school newspaper together, the Wildcat. I was recently looking at some back issues on line. Those were great times. Or we could have been fellow co-founders of the Chico News & Review -- even better times.


Maybe we knew each other in Sacramento or Boston or during my European travels.


Say, you’re not an old girlfriend, are you? If so I regret to inform you that I have aged. After all it’s been many decades since we saw one another. I’m sorry if you’re one of the many women I unceremoniously dumped. I was a bit of a cad. Then again I got a raw deal from some of the women I dated too. It happened both ways for me — a lot.


Maybe we were classmates in my later iterations as a student. Maybe we worked together somewhere, Sacto, Boston, San Francisco or Berkeley. Goodness, we could have been teaching colleagues at Willard or EF.


You're not a relative, are you? If so then you absolutely MUST say, hi.


Were we friends? If so I sure hope that having now found me you drop me a line. Hell, if we weren’t friends let me hear from you. Email me: rikuhourula@gmail.com. I like blasts from the past, they help me bathe in the warm waters of nostalgia.


You might even be a former student. There are a lot of them out there. I love hearing from students. You don’t even have to tell me what a great influence I was on your life (though you certainly can).


I especially want to hear from a few people: Ed Burns (the great goalkeeper from Richmond), Carnell Broom (aka Wilford), Keith Bray (we got in touch for a bit awhile ago but then you never returned my calls). Owen Plant, how’s the kid? Becky Tallon, we were pretty serious for a bit but you correctly saw that we weren’t ready, Karen Seccombe, I can’t find any contact info for you — my younger daughter is in your line of work. Jaime Bammert, my last roommate in Chico. Bob Speer, you’re a man I hold in high regard and think of frequently. Kevin Jeys, we did not part on good terms and I regret that. Jason Peltier, always thought highly of you and so glad you’ve done well. Jim Riley, a former roomie and co-worker who was a good dude. Cheryl Gilman, I regretted for a long time not taking advantage of the crush you had on me. Suzie Donnelly, I had a crush on you but you didn’t seem interested and then I met Kathryn….Susan Silvius, I wish I’d made more of our friendship. Debra Gologorsky, I cringe when I think of the letter I sent you from college. You were a terrific person. Mark Norman, we were best friends starting sometime around kindergarten but I haven’t talked to you since 1981. Judy Nakaso, we had classes together from K through 12, you’re the only person I can say that about. Paul McCartney, we were in a band together for awhile in the Sixties (I may be making this one up). 


It would be a shame if you saw this and didn’t at least email a quick hello. The old cliche is that we’re none of us getting any younger. I’ve had several friends, acquaintances, co-workers and kin say the long goodbye in recent years. Some of whom I wish I’d contacted before they shuffled off this mortal coil.


As you can see from having googled me (tickles a bit). I’ve self-published a couple of novels, the latter has done quite well. I’m close to finishing my third and hope to find a publisher other than self for it. I’ve been a teacher of one kind or another for almost 37 years. I’m active in the local Finnish Heritage Society. Been happily married to the same woman for 36 years (if we make it another two weeks). I can tell you more if I hear from you.


So you were curious and found me, take the next step. Let’s go!!!

No comments: