26 April 2023

A Day Trip to Cambridge and Back Home, Part Six of our Paris/London Vacation

Cambridge University

Home again.

Nice to be back. Nothing like a trip out of the country to refresh the batteries. It was a great two weeks and it’s made me appreciate the creature comforts of home. I welcome not having to do anything today or tomorrow and only one errand Friday and one Saturday before I speechify at the Finnish Brotherhood Hall on Sunday. Then it's back to ye olde grind on Monday (a grind I very much enjoy).


Since I last wrote we took a day trip on Monday to Cambridge. It was a lovely train ride similar to the one we’d taken a week before to Fountainbleu. I love the English countryside. Bucolic. 


Cambridge positively oozes with charm and they’ve got a rather well-renowned university there. We visited said university and I was blown away by the loveliness of the grounds and the age and majesty of the buildings. It’s very different than the prestigious university we have here in Berkeley. Many areas are restricted for students only. Many of the students zip around on bikes as evidently do some faculty. Also a lot of students wear jackets with some sort of university emblem on them. I didn’t think to ask any of them to stop so I could have a read.


Yesterday we flew back and boy are my arms tired. (Couldn’t resist.)


My favorite parts of the trip were the visit to the Emirates to see The Arsenal play, the day trips previously mentioned, the D’orsay, the Rodin Museum, walking Paris neighborhoods, our nature walk in North London and having fish and chips four times. Had some great meals in Paris too which one can’t help but doing.


I loved riding the Paris Metro and the London Underground both of which are reliable (at least relative to what we have in the Bay Area), comfortable and easy to navigate.


The only downsides to our journey were a few travel hassles and the weather, which in both cities was Winter-like.


I’m glad to be settling back in at home but also look forward to our next journey which, lamentably, won’t in all likelihood, be until next year. Meanwhile my imagination will travel far and wide. Movies will help and believe it or not I haven’t watched a film in over two weeks! Time to get to it.

No comments: