05 March 2023

Odd and Ends Feature My Latest Doings Including a Planned Trip and a New Celebrity Crush

Gillian Jacobs

I don’t understand trigger warnings. Why does a trigger need to be warned about anything?

I know, I’m totally hilarious. Always have been. Even as a small child I entertained family and friends with my wit. Okay, I suppose that as a tot my humor was more slapstick than urbane, the point being I was a laugh factory. Needless to say I was the class clown in school pretty much from Kindergarten through 12th grade. Some of my success with the fairer sex was that, in addition to be cute and charming, I could make women laugh. They like that — as, of course do men. Laughing is healthy. It may not be the best medicine but it’s right up there among the better ones. Especially for mild to moderate cases of the blues. As someone whose experienced enough misery I can attest to the fact that laughter can also take a bite out of even serious depression.


So I suppose my readers (Blaine Picklebottom of Peoria, Illinois) are wondering how I’ve been and what I’ve been up to.


There was a nasty cold that punched me in the face for five days and has lingered another week in the form of occasional runiness of the nose and experiencing a bit more fatigue at the end of the day that one should expect. The wife was hit by back-to-back colds with only a few days in between. Rotten luck. Younger daughter has moved back to the Bay Area after living in New York for seven plus years. She’s staying with us until finding a place of her own (already got a job — she’s a social worker) as a welcome home gift she got the cold too. Older daughter was the first in the immediate family with it. It might be traced to the little urchins who are my niece and nephew’s wee ones.


Cold aside I’ve been fine. Oh sure, occasionally anxiety, depression and questioning life’s meaning but overall happy enough. It helps that the missus and I have a forthcoming trip to Europe that we’re counting down to. On April 9th (five weeks from today) we will board a large metal bird for parts east, specifically, Paris and London. About two weeks in the former and four days in the later. That four days will include a trip to Emirates Stadium to see my favorite football (that’s soccer to you Yanks) Arsenal — currently atop the Premier League table. The price of the ticket was far, far more than I’ve ever spent on a ticket of any sort but — as my friend who I’m going with said — you only live once. I should here say that according to my Hindu friends, this is not altogether true. However I feel safe in saying that one only gets one go around in your current form. Then again there are some who suggest that we get a second turn at this life and maybe more. I’d sure like another run-through, there are one helluva lot of things I’d do differently (though I’d marry the same women and insist on the same children).


Where was I?


Oh yeah, updating….


Teaching is going well and when hasn’t it since I started being an EFL teacher? My students are delightful human beings, we got along smoothly and I’m a top professional. (Just how top is not for me to say. My point being that students get their money’s worth out of this (pulls out cliches) dedicated professional, who prioritizes student engagement and personalized instruction (excuse the resume talk).


I’m also in a state of bliss because of the success of the aforementioned Arsenal. Having a team you love dearly being successful (particularly after several years of mediocrity) is joyous. Yesterday they came from two goals down to win a last-second goal that caused bedlam in the stadium and had me leap from my chair shouting like a crazy man (okay, crazier man). In the ensuing celebration I injured my wrist, with a resultant gash that almost required stitches. I’m still riding a high.


Meanwhile I continue snipping away at the novel and have gotten it down to 155,000 words, a reduction of about 40,000. I’d like to trim another 25,000. How I’m going to manage it, is currently a mystery but one I’ve got to solve.


I’ve found a new television show to enjoy, Community. Many, many laughs. Excellent writing, great cast, especially Gillian Jacobs who I have a job celebrity crush on. *Sigh.* Thanks Hulu.


My birthday was last week. It passed with little fanfare. Nice to hear from loved ones both near and far and to be feted by the immediate family. I have no compunction about enjoying a birthday and in fact do so once a year.


Before I sign off  I wonder if anyone has any questions.


“How are you feeling about the current political scene in the U.S.?”


That’s like asking how I feel about listening to a cat vomit. Next.


“Do you think Biden should run again?”


He’s better off biking at his age.


“You’ve had a cold, rainy winter, have you enjoyed it?”


Yes. Eases the fears of drought and alleviates some of the daily fear of global warming. Did you know, by the way, that there are some idiots (see Republican Party) who still think that global warming is not real? The stupidity that persists around this country staggers the imagination.


“What’s the deal with people who nearly kill pedestrians by running stop signs?”


Flog ‘em.


"Seen any good movies recently?”


Of course. Cleo From Five to Seven, Carnal Knowledge, Shadow of a Doubt, Eo, Ivan’s Childhood, Manhunt.


“How about in theaters?”


Nothing. This isn’t traditionally a good time of year for new releases. By the way, Berkeley’s last downtown movie theaters closed. There’s one theater in the whole city. Used to be nine. Sad.


“Do you have a lot of groupies?”


Yes, but please don’t tell the wife. Among them is Gillian Jacobs. Yum.

No comments: