28 July 2022

The Blog and I Have a Chat




Me: Hi, blog, how ya doin?

Blog: Pretty good. So does this mean another entry?

Me: I guess.

Blog: You don’t exactly seem enthusiastic.

Me: It’s just that I —

Blog: It’s just that you’re obsessed with your latest novel.

Me: As a matter of fact….

Blog: Don’t feel bad, I understand. A novel is a big deal.

Me: Especially one like my latest that’s twice as long as anything I’ve ever written before. It covers a period of nearly eight years and has what I guess you could call a large cast.

Blog: Lot to keep track of, eh?

Me: Yup. Why just yesterday I realized that one of the characters —

Blog: Yeah, I don’t really want any details, I kind of thought this would be about me.

Me: You know I love you dear blog. You’ve been my faithful friend since I birthed you over fourteen years ago.

Blog: I’ve never doubted your love.

Me: I sensed there was going to be a “but” attached to that last sentence. If there’s anything more that you’ve got to say, spill it.

Blog: I feel like I’m starting to be an obligation to you.

Me: No.

Blog: Let’s look at how many entries you’ve had so far this year.

Me: Fifty-four. That’s not bad. I’m on pace to have close to one hundred for the year. About average.

Blog: Okay, now look at how many you’ve had each month. I’ll save you the trouble. Eight. Every single month. Like clockwork. Never seven or six, never nine or ten. Eight exactly. If you post this you’ll have seven for July with three days left in the month which will probably mean an eighth entry. That’ll make seven consecutive months of eight entires. 

Me: Wow.
Blog: Yeah, wow is right.

Me: So what do you think it means?

Blog: That either consciously or subconsciously you’re filling a quota. There’s no spontaneity to it, like writing here is an obligation. 

Me: I’ll admit that there’ve been a lot of times in the past few months when I’ve struggled for content, especially as I’m teaching a class every morning. 

Blog: Maybe we should take a break.

Me: A break? Won’t that be hard on you?

Blog: Oh, I’ll survive. There are 1,460 posts in the archive.

Me: I’ve been prolific.

Blog: Here you have been, on my sister blog, you’ve been pretty neglectful.

Me: I haven’t been writing enough poetry, that’s true.

Blog: I just want to get you thinking about things.

Me: Ya know, blog, you’ve always been really thoughtful.

Blog: That’s a reflection on you, after all, you’re the creator.

Me: Besides giving things a good think, what should I take away from this conversation?

Blog: Writing should come from the soul, the heart. Unless you’re a professional writer, like say on a newspaper, it shouldn’t be obligatory (email responses aside). Maybe start by NOT writing eight entires this month. Leave it at this one for July. Seven. Unless of course you’re inspired by something. Maybe next month you’ll write only five or six, maybe ten or eleven. But let it be organic.

Me: You’re right.

Blog: Good lad. By the way, how’s the novel going? When do you think it’ll be done?

Me: I’ve been at it since December ’20, closing in on two years. But I’ll be ready to show it to my editor in less than a month. So I’m finally feeling like there’s an end in sight.

Blog: Cool. The excerpts you’ve published here have been good so I look forward to seeing the full completed book.

Me: I’m loving the process. Enjoy every minute.

Blog: Good for you. Now have that kind of love when you write here.

Me: I will, I promise.

Blog: You’re the best.

Me: No, you are.

Blog: I guess we’ll have to agree to disagree.

Me: I disagree.

Blog: Oh stop it. (Laughs.)

Me: We crack each other up.

Blog: That’s as it should be.

Me: Later

Blog: See ya, pal.

No comments: