09 June 2020

Coronavirus Quarantine Diary: Day 86, Entry 19, A Post in Two Parts Focusing First on the Quarantine Then on Protests

Photo by author of today's march.
PART ONE
I’m getting stir crazy. This is different than the normal garden variety of crazy that has been my constant companion, lo these many years. This is not about past trauma or a chemical imbalance, this stems from being stuck in the same place with the same routine for months. Consecutive months, at that.

Every morning I breakfast while catching up on the news. Then I write for three hours. I chat with the wife, meditate, exercise, eat lunch, go for a walk with the the missus, watch a movie, read, have dinner then maybe watch the telly with the missus or write some more or read some more or watch another movie. Then I go back to bed and get some sleep so I’ll be refreshed for the same routine the next day. Sundays I neither exercise nor write. 

Each day brings a sense of accomplishment, particularly if it’s been a good writing day, as most are. But each day is virtual carbon copy of the preceding one.

I want to go to a museum.

I want to dine in a restaurant.

I want to sit in a ballpark.

I want to browse in a bookstore.

I want to get a manicure.

I want to not have to dodge people as I’m out for a stroll.

But I also want to stop having to read about Trump and the latest nonsense he’s spewed whether it’s a racist remark, the spreading of a conspiracy theory, an easily refutable lie, a dangerous and divisive opinion or an act of brazen self-promotion.

For four years when I was  teaching middle school I had the worst imaginable boss and now for almost four years I’ve suffered along with millions through the worst imaginable president. I here predict that 200 years from now Trump will still be regarded as the worst president ever. If somehow there has been a worse one it’ll have meant the end of the republic — not that it we can be certain that it can survive the current leader.

I am encouraged by the protests that have taken place all over the country and the fact that they have such wide, mainstream support. It looks like many Americans have — finally — woken to the fact that racism is alive and well in the U.S. and that it is institutional and part and parcel to most police departments. I’m also gratified to learn that so many people support massive reform of our police forces, including defunding them. There is no better perspective on the current state of the police in this country and the need for change than was provided by John Oliver in the most recent episode of Last Week Tonight. If you haven't watched it yet, by all means do so. (But not until after you finish reading this masterpiece.)

One can also find encouragement in the presidential polls that show Joe Biden well ahead of Trump and further indicate that a Democratic takeover of the Senate is entirely possible. The United States has often come out of dark times by righting previous wrongs and putting in place fairer more equitable systems that have benefitted the poor and disadvantaged over the wealthy and powerful (these gains have never been led by, and indeed have had opposition in, conservatives). Note as examples the Progressive Era, the New Deal and the Civil Rights Movement.

It’s always darkest before the dawn and my goodness but it is dark these days.

PART TWO
For those of you keeping score at home the first part was written this morning, this part is being written in the early evening.
I was nestling into a new book about ninety minutes ago when I heard what vaguely sounded like music in the distance. It had been quiet, which is perfect for reading, and so I was not pleased by the muffled sounds coming from I knew-not-where. The missus emerged from our bedroom and said that there had been a rally at a park a mile or so away and that the sound we were hearing was drummers among the group and that said group was marching toward downtown. It was one of the many blessed rallies/marches/demonstrations that have been gracing this country these past weeks. Berkeley and yours truly are no stranger to demonstrations, I was practically raised on them. I’ve been damn lazy about the most recent ones and aim to participate more in the coming days.

The march was coming up a large street just a block from where we live so I found my mask and headed over to, as the kids would say, check it out.

I arrived just as the march was approaching. There were drums, there were chants, there were signs but most of all there were people. An ecstatic feeling washed over me as they streamed by. I was in the presence of large numbers of my fellow human beings. Many were closer than the prescribed six feet but all were wearing masks — I don’t remember seeing a single sole without one on. I snapped photos aplenty and took a few videos and joined for a few blocks at the back of the group. It was wonderful to be among so many others and in such a great spirit for such a good reason.

Joyous. Happy. I returned to our abode and shared the photos with the spouse and shared my impressions.
Earlier in the day I’d been seized by a powerful depression and it had taken me several tries to be able to so much as read. Now I felt great. Elated. 

The euphoria has worn off now and I’m feeling normal -- a rare state for me. But I also feel determined to do my bit and be a full participant next time there's a nearby march. Power to the people!

2 comments:

Nimisha Ajaikumar said...

Dear Richard,
I really enjoyed checking out your blog posts and your entries on quarantine. You have a creative outlook yet strong opinions, which I'm inspired by. I'm glad to find a fellow blogspot blogger who is still active. Keep writing!

Richard Hourula said...

Thanks!