09 January 2018

My Top Ten Films of 2017 (Is Actually a Top Fifteen)



It was too good a year in films for a top ten so I had to expand my list to fifteen. I've also kept my usual number of six honorable mentions.

1. Personal Shopper (Assayas)
2. Phantom Thread (Anderson)
3. Call Me Be Your Name (Guadagnino)
4. The Florida Project (Baker) 
5. The Disaster Artist (Franco)
6. Wonder Wheel (Allen)
7. Columbus (Kogonada)
8. I, Tonya (Gillespie)
9. The Other Side of Hope (Kaurismaki)
10 . Get Out (Peele)
11. Lady MacBeth (Oldroyd)
12. The Shape of Water (del Toro)
13. A Ghost Story (Lowery)
14. Mudbound (Rees)
15. Lady Bird (Gerwig)

Honorable Mention: The Happiest Day in the Life of Oli Maki (Kuosmanen)God’s Own Country  (Lee);  T2 Trainspotting (Boyle)Baby Driver (Wright); Three Billboards Outside of Ebbing, Missouri  (McDonagh): The Ornithologist (Rodrigues)

Best Actor: * Timothee Chalamet (Call Me By Your Name) Also Praiseworthy: Richard Gere (Norman), Gary Oldman (Darkest Hour), James Franco (The Disaster Artist)
Best Actress: Sally Hawkins (The Shape of Water) Also Praiseworthy: Frances MacDormand (Three Billboards), Margot Robbie (I, Tonya), Brooklyn Prince (Florida Project)
Best Supporting Actor: Willem Dafoe (Florida Project) Also Praiseworthy: Sam Rockwell (Three Billboards), Garrett Hedlund (Mudbound)
Best Supporting Actress: Allison Janney (I,Tonya) Also Praiseworthy: Laurie Metcalf (Lady Bird), Catherine Keener (Get Out)

* Note: in the nine years I've posted my top ten films list, the person I selected as best actor has gone on to win the Best Actor Oscar seven times. I think it'll be seven of ten after this year as Oldman seems a lock.

No comments: