11 January 2016

Ziggy Still Plays Guitar Jamming Good With Weird and Gilly



There's a starman waiting in the sky
He'd like to come and meet us
But he thinks he'd blow our minds
There's a starman waiting in the sky
He's told us not to blow it
'Cause he knows it's all worthwhile
- From Starman by David Bowie

In junior year of college I came home one night and one of my roommates had all the lights out and was blasting David Bowie on the stereo. He swore by the lyrics saying that they were a path to enlightenment. I agreed and nothing in the intervening years has changed my mind.

I occasionally need breaks from certain kinds of music or performers who I generally love. But I never weary of either the Beatles or Bowie. Anytime, anyplace. In fact Bowie, along with Neil Young, is who I listen to when I need inspiration to write. On many previous occasions I've used lines from Bowie songs to introduce blog posts.

He's meant a lot to me.

Bowie's lyrics are poetic, bombastic, spiritual, biting, prescient, brilliant and evocative. Yes I could use many many more adjectives. There is an angelic magic to his songs and his voice. I feel emotionally uplifted by songs like Ziggy, Life on Mars, Changes, Starman and dozens more. There is a beauty and power and gentle streams of vibrant radiating colors flowing out of music and swirling forever and ever around minds and hearts and souls and wonderful tears of gladness.

He is technically deceased but that music and spirt will live on and continue to inspire and move and rage the delights of a million stars dancing on psychedelic rain drops.

No comments: