04 May 2010

Don't You Just Love Great Lines From Movies? I Do Too! Here's 20 More of My Favorites This Time We Hear From the Ladies

As you my legion of readers (both of us) may recall, yesterday I offered a sequel to previous posts comprised of favored film lines. Today I offer part two of the sequel (is a prequel in the works?) with film lines uttered by the fairer sex. 

The original posts ran last November, the first featuring lines uttered by men and as now the second had lines said by women.

No further ado....

The world is made for people who aren't cursed with self awareness. - Susan Sarandon as Annie Savoy in Bull Durham (1989).


Arrange it, are you crazy? Where am I gonna get a farm? I haven't even got a window box! Barbara Stanwyck as in Christmas In Connecticutt (1945).


The last mass trials were a great success. There are going to be fewer but better Russians. - Gretta Garbo as Ninotchka in Ninochtka(1939).


Why couldn't you have brought this up last week!... Six months isn't so long... not everyone gets corrupted... you have to have a little faith in people. - Mariel Hemingway as Tracy in Manhattan (1979).


If it was raining hundred dollar bills, you'd be out looking for a dime you lost someplace! - Barbara Stanwyck as Ann in Meet John Doe (1941).


I don't want to be worshipped. I want to be loved. - Katharine Hepburn as Tracy Lord in Philadelphia Story (1940).


Well, I proved once and for all that the limb is mightier than the thumb. - Claudettte Colbert as Ellie Andrews in It Happened One Night (1934).


Ever since you got off that boat you've been chasing me like an amorous goat. You've tried your darnedest to make me fall in love with you and now you have. So from now on I'm going to do the chasing, and believe me brother, you're going to know you've been chased. - Myrna Loy as Kay Wilson in I Love You Again (1940).


You... Benedict Arnold in sheep's clothing! - Jean Arthur as Mary Jones in The Devil and Miss Jones (1941).


Well you son-of-a-sea-snake! Have you got on my new pajamas? - Jean Harlow as Lil in Red-Headed Woman (1932).


Well that's your estimate of me, not mine. That check is framed, not cashed! I put it there to remind me never to get mixed up with your kind again!  - Joan Blondell as Carol King in Gold Diggers of 1933 (1933).


"Stone-Age Stuff!" "Mad with Desire!" "Lovers' Brawl!" Is that the way you prove that you just more than care for me? Treating me like a strip act in a burlesque show! A glamorous bombshell, eh? A glorified chump, that's what I've been! Well, I'm sick of it, you understand? With the business and everybody! You can get another "It Girl," a "But Girl" or a "How, When and Where Girl." I'm clearing out, and you can all stay here in this half-paid-for car barn and get somebody else to pull the apple cart! I'm going where ladies and gentlemen hang their hats and get some peace and quiet... and if any of you try to interfere with me, I'll complain to the authorities! - Jean Harlow as Lola Burns in Bombshell (1933).


I know I fib a good deal. After all, a woman's charm is 50% illusion. - Vivian Leigh as Blanche duBois in A Streetcar Named Desire (1951).


Well I wanna be the real thing! And you better wise up coz if I grow and you stay as stupid as you are we're gonna have big problems Ray! - Tracy Ullman as French in Small Time Crooks (2000).


She's my sister AND my daughter! -Faye Dunaway as Evelyn Mulwray in Chinatown (1974).


Command performances leave me quite cold. I've had more fun in the back seat of a '39 Ford than I could ever have in the vault of the Chase Manhattan Bank. - Elizabeth Taylor as Gloria Wandrous in BUtterfield 8 (1960).


Just because I wear a uniform doesn't make me a girl scout.- Shirley MacLaine as Fran Kubelik in The Apartment (1960).


No, no, don't speak. Don't speak. Please don't speak. Please don't speak. No. No. No. Go. Go, gentle Scorpio, go. Your Pisces wishes you every happy return. - Dianne Wiest in Bullets Over Broadway (1994).


Heaven help me. I love a psychotic! - Bette Davis as Margo Channing in All About Eve (1950).


If you don't start undressing me soon this is going to turn into a panel discussion. - Scarlett Johansson as Cristina in Vicky Cristina Barcelona (2008).

2 comments:

KC said...

I know most of these so well that I could actually hear the way they said them as I read this. Man, I've seen a lot of movies! My favorite is the Bombshell quote; Harlow's delivery was amazing in that flick.

Unknown said...

great list! I think the Barbara Stanwyck ones are my favorites.. there are so many quotable lines in Meet John Doe and Christmas in Connecticut!