28 February 2022

And Many Happy Returns, The Author Celebrates His Birthday

The author. (Not a recent photo.)

Happy birthday.

To me.

Sixty-eight today and I swear I feel fantastic. My main problem with aging has been the chronological number attached to it and the fact that it indicates how much nearer I am to the end than the beginning. (There’s also the fact that I’m not the cutie pie I used to be.) I'm working on all that.

Perception.

I’ve always liked my birthday. For one thing I receive gifts. I like gifts. I also enjoy receiving cards, letters, texts, emails and in-person greetings from friends, kinfolk and acquaintances. 

The immediate family and I always have a special dinner on my birthday and a sweet and delicious dessert.

I don’t believe I’ve ever had a bad birthday. Indeed I’ve had some real corkers. Most of the ones from when I was four through a teenager were great. Birthdays as a kid are the best.

I’ve enjoyed a couple of surprise birthday parties. I like those. You often hear people say they hate surprises. I’ve never understood that. I love surprises — assuming they’re good ones. A surprise and a party combined are wonderful. Why wouldn’t someone enjoy that?

Some birthdays take on a special importance. Eighteen, twenty-one and all the subsequent ones that end in a zero.

I was not at all bothered about thirty, forty, fifty or sixty. In two years we’ll see how I feel about seventy.

I got up early today birthday or no. It’s a Monday and for me as a writer a work day. I plugged away at the novel for a few hours then worked out. Post workout I showered, made a smoothie and as a birthday treat the missus made me a bagel with smoked salmon. Yummy.

Now I’m writing again, albeit not working on the novel but keeping my blog going. 

My blog: one of the best-kept secrets on the internet. But I love it just the same. Hey, you’re reading it! Aren’t you?

After posting this I’ll go back to the novel, then I’ll read the New York Times and do the crossword puzzle. After that I’ll do some reading then watch an episode of Breaking Bad. I’m re-watching this, my favorite all-time television drama, in preparation for the final season of Better Call Saul — another show I love. 

Breaking Bad is just as good the second time around. It’s been over eight years since I watched it so there’s a fair amount I don’t remember. Great re-discovering scenes. I also have a greater appreciation for the cast. Particularly Bryan Cranston, but also Aaron Paul. I also think the world of the show’s creator, Vince Gilligan.

Later oldest daughter will come by and we’ll order dinner. (Youngest daughter is in Brooklyn, so can't make it.) As the honored guest I’ll get to wait at home as the missus and child pick it up. Shame it’s still not safe to eat out. Next year.

We’ll also enjoy some gelato for desert. 

Promises to be a good day. So far it has been. Like all my birthdays. I’m a pretty lucky fella, come to think of it.

No comments: