21 November 2021

Joy Unbound as the Author Witnesses His Team's Glorious Victory over their Arch Rivals

Photo by author

There are few experiences I enjoy more than watching my favorite college football team -- the University of California Golden Bears -- win a game. The best of these is when they defeat the hated Stanfurd Cardinal in the annual Big Game with the victor claiming as its trophy the Stanfurd Axe. Yesterday was a great and glorious day as the Bears went down to Palo Alto and pummeled their foes, 41-11. As always I gave my voice fully to the team, exhorting, cheering and chirping. I was surrounded by fellow Bear fans including a friend and we reveled in each other's company, brothers and sisters in our support of the Sturdy Golden Bears.

Post game we cavorted on the field and I even had my photo taken with a few of the day's heroes. Fun doesn't begin to describe the day. I slept like a baby and awoke still awash in the good feelings of the day.

Sports is a fickle mistress. It can dole out pain and sorrow but it can also bring waves of happiness helping to offset the woes the world dishes out. Yesterday represented the best sports can offer for me and I mean to savor it throughout the day and into the week. Something to be thankful for as a day of Thanksgiving approaches.

Go Bears!

No comments: