06 March 2010

I Enter an Oscar Competition and You Get to See My Picks (Wish Me Luck)

My ambivalence about the Academy Wards has been well documented on this blog. But that doesn't mean I can turn away from the show when it rears its humongous head every year. Nor can I resist the notion of a little competition, especially when there's a gift certificate to Amazon to be won and nothing to lose.

The rules of the competition call for participants getting one point for every correct prediction but a minus one for every one that is wrong. I can make as many or as few picks as I want.

Please note that I'm in it to win so the following DO NOT REFLECT MY PREFERENCES but my best guesses as to how voters were thinking when they filled out their ballots. Here goes nuthin.'

Best Picture - Hurt Locker
Best Supporting Actor - Christoph Waltz
Best Supporting Actress Mo'Nique
Best Foreign Language Film - Das weisse Band - Eine deutsche Kindergeschicte
Best Original Screenplay - Quentin Tarantino, Inglourious Basterds
Best Adapted Screenplay - Jason Reitman & Terri Tatchell, Up in the Air
Best Animated Feature - Up
Best Achievement in Visual Effects - Avatar

1 comment:

Armen Karaoghlanian said...

I think the entire world failed when it came to Best Adapted Screenplay, because Up in the Air totally deserved the award. Best Original Screenplay could have gone either way, but Inglourious Basterds was better, in my opinion. The White Ribbon doesn't win Best Foreign Language Film? Wow.