29 April 2024

I Can't Stop Thinking About This Photo


Okay, so you've got Sonny and Cher. Sonny is grinning and Cher is not. But then you've got, of all people, Bob Dylan with them and HE'S smiling with his arm extended beyond Sonny's head and his fingers doing I don't know what. Maybe he's reaching toward Cher. (Who wouldn't rather be touching Cher rather than Sonny?) We can see three people in the background no way of knowing who any of them are. One looks like he's drinking from a cup. One is a woman and the third is looking at the three people getting their photo taken. Looks like they could be in a studio or backstage. The photo had to have been taken in the 1960s. This would have been before the Sonny and Cher Comedy Hour which started in 1970. At least I'm pretty sure. I'm also pretty sure that Dylan was never a guest on the show because why would he be and he's not listed among the prominent guests the twosome had on the show.

I just don't associate Dylan with Sonny and Cher. I doubt he would have avoided them but he was fairly particular about who he hung out with and doubtless still is. Maybe they just "bumped into" one another after a gig. Maybe it was a Dylan show, maybe it was a Sonny and Cher performance, maybe they were seeing another act. Again, I don't know. Time to do a little research.

(Pause while the blogger opens another window and does due diligence.)

Here's what I found out (why I didn't do this before I began this post, I cannot tell you): the photo was taken in 1965 (told you!) at Atlantic Studios. That's all I could learn. I also was reminded of the fact that Sonny and Cher had a hit with a song Dylan wrote, All I Really Want to Do in '65. Maybe that's somehow related to the photo. 

Interesting trio. Cher went on to win on Best Actress Oscar, Sonny was elected to congress and Dylan won a Pulitzer. 

Anyway, I still find it odd to see them together and with Dylan smiling. The stuff you come across.....

No comments: