11 May 2023

What's New? The Blogger Has Much to Relate after a Ten-Day Absence

Photo I took at the D'Orsay

While in Europe I posted regular updates on my comings and goings but since returning it’s been virtual silence. I imagine my readers (both of us) are wondering what I’ve been up to. After all being in Berkeley is as exciting as being in Paris or London. Isn’t it?
 

On May 1st I returned to work. I enjoyed this very much. I have the privilege of teaching the English language to people from other countries. Most of my students are charming people, eager to learn and willing to put up with my nonsense. I also have colleagues who I get along swimmingly with. The banter is breezy and enjoyable although deeper topics are sometimes explored. Workplace camaraderie is one of the great perks of employment.


The weather here is worth noting. Thankfully we had a very wet winter with enough precipitation to put a dent into California’s worst-ever drought. However — and I speak as a lover of the wet stuff — things have gone a bit too far with rain continuing into April. Warm dry conditions finally arrived while we were in Europe (where it was cold and sometimes rained) but the inclement weather returned here shortly after we did. On Monday I walked to work in the rain (my umbrella got wet — damn it!). It has also remained unseasonably cold with temperatures not exceeding sixty degrees fahrenheit by much or for long. The predicted high for today is sixty-two. As I’ve noted here repeatedly I do not like hot weather but I could stand a few days of warm. Stupid climate change.


My first weekend back from vacation was taken up preparing for my speech at the Finnish Hall for Vappu. Said speech was reprinted on this blog in my most recent post. I love public speaking, unlike many people I don’t get the least bit nervous. I always make sure to know my audience and anticipate not just what I want them to hear but what they want to hear. It can be a delicate balancing act but as a teacher for many decades it’s in my wheelhouse. I prepare meticulously and practice. Warm waves of applause are always welcome. Keeping my ego in check is a struggle but I’ve years of experience in that department as well.


The event as a whole was successful with good food and good music. I am proud to be on the Culture Committee of the Finnish Heritage Society which plans these events.


Last weekend the focus was the Bay Area Book Festival. Usually I attend four to five events but this year managed only two but they were both excellent. On Saturday I saw Adam Hochschild speak for at least the third time. He is undoubtedly one of America’s premier non-fiction writers. Mr. Hochschild was speaking about his latest book American Midnight about the dark period in this country from 1917-1921 when civil liberties were cast aside, lynchings were sadly ubiquitous and immigrants were scapegoated. Parallels were drawn between then and today. But also noted are those who fought the good fight against repression. This will be the seventh of his books I’ve read, his works on World War I and the Spanish Civil War were particularly good.


On Sunday I saw a woman named Ilyon Woo speak about her new book, Master Slave Husband Wife: An Epic Journey from Slavery to Freedom. It is the story of a married enslaved couple who escaped from the south with the woman (who was light-skinned) posing as a white man and her husband pretending to be her slave. Upon making it safely to the north they toured the country speaking about their experiences. It’s all compelling stuff all the more so for those of us in the audience as among the attendees were ancestors of the couple. 


Speaking of books, I’m currently reading one that I bought in a well-regarded bookstore in Cambridge about the legendary English football (soccer to you Yanks) coach, Brian Clough, Nobody Ever Says Thank You. He was the subject of a film called The Damned United (2009) Hooper starring Michael Sheen. Clough was a brilliant manager who led two different teams (Derby County and Nottingham Forrest) out of the second division to become champions of the top flight. To do this once is remarkable to do it twice is difficult to fathom. He also led Forrest to consecutive Champions League titles. But Clough was his own worst enemy and self-saboted everywhere he went. He was — to put it mildly — a volatile personality who did his things his way no matter whose feathers he ruffled or who was insulted, wronged or badly hurt by his words and actions. He was charismatic, boorish, brilliant, egotistical, charming, bitter, benevolent, mercurial, outspoken and endlessly fascinating (at least from afar). I'll finish the book today and will miss reading about this singular character.


I’ve also been doing my FINAL edit of novel number three and my editor (aka the missus) is now reading it. She’ll be sharing her observations after which I’ll make more revisions. It looks like I’ll finish the damn thing in just under three years. I’m anticipating a Pulitzer for all this time and effort. It has been the proverbial labor of love and any success it enjoys will not give me as much satisfaction as has the writing process.


Speaking of the better half, we’ve been loving the final seasons of three terrific TV shows: Succession, Barry and The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel. It will be a shame to see them go as they’ve each reached their peaks. Previously we enjoyed season two of Perry Mason. Sadly the writer’s strike has cost the world several episodes of Last Week Tonight With John Oliver and the daily charm of Late Night With Seth Myers. Give the writers what they want you greedy bastards.


It’s been nice to be back on the old blogaroo. Perhaps after this final run though of the novel we can get together more often.

No comments: