20 July 2022

I Like Moose, Nobody Wants to See Your Wordle Score, Poets, Bergman, TV and the Ruination of a Sport, All in One Wild and Wacky Post

A moose.

I like moose and I’m trying to figure out why anyone wouldn’t. They're lovely creatures. Not quite majestic nor regal, even a little dorky in a powerfully-built sort of way. I understand that some people hunt them. Why? What kind of sicko gets pleasure out of killing a beautiful animal? If you need to hunt them for food, fine but otherwise just take their picture and admire them. I like looking at photos of moose and follow an account on instagram dedicated to posting them. They can be dangerous if provoked so don't provoke them. Also, don't try to feed them. Leave a moose alone and you're fine. I think they’re pretty cool.

Anne Sexton and Sylvia Plath are two of my favorite poets. Both committed suicide. Plath had multiple lovers before marrying, Sexton had numerous affairs while married. Both had abusive husbands. Both were trailblazers as poets and women. I’m reading about them now in a book called Three-Martini Afternoons at the Ritz: The Rebellion of Sylvia Plath & Anne Sexton. I find them fascinating, brave women who led tragic but meaningful lives. The book I'm reading about them is good. It was written by Dr. Gail Crowther.

Ingmar Bergman was married five times, had children with each wife and one with a lover, the actress and his frequent muse, Liv Ullman. In addition to Ms. Ullman, Bergman had affairs with Bibi Anderson and Harriet Anderson (no relation) who both appeared in many of his films. Strike the word monogamous from Bergman’s dictionary but underline insatiable. I've had my hands full with one wife and zero lovers on the side. How he managed it all while being such a prolific director is beyond me.

I’m loving the final season of Better Call Saul, one of the great TV dramas of all time. There are four episodes left. I anxiously await the appearances of Walter White and Jesse Pinkman. I’ve also been given to understand that Carol Burnett appears on the show. BCS is from the same people who brought us Breaking Bad so you know they won't disappoint in the finale. I'll be sad to see it end but certainly have enjoyed the ride.

Speaking of TV I’m also enjoying season two of the brilliant comedy Only Murders in the Building. Martin Short and Steve Martin (or Steve Short as they could be called) are howlingly funny and Selena Gomez as their fellow podcaster and crime solver is equal to the task of holding her own among two geniuses of comedy.

I’ve never heard a satisfactory explanation for why some folks post their Wordle scores. I’ve been playing since the end of January and never thought for a second to waste anyone’s time thusly. I often discuss Wordle with oldest daughter but other than that keep it to myself because frankly why should anyone care about my score? Yet you’ll see people posting their day’s result on Twitter. Might as well keep a public diary of when you clip your toenails.

One of the great loves of my life for many years was college football. I’ve been a fan of Cal football since I was a wee tyke (such suffering) and enjoyed the pomp, pageantry and most of all the traditions. But the sport has been systematically ruined over the past twenty-five years or so. All in the pursuit of more dollars. Rivalries have been ended. Conferences have lost their geographic meaning and been eviscerated. Bowl games have saturated the market and the older ones have lost decade long tie-ins with conferences. Kick-off times are often not decided until a week before the game and too many games are at night. The straw that likely broke the camel’s back is the PAC 12 conference (of which my beloved Golden Bears are a member) losing two of its original schools, U$C and UCLA, both of whom are moving to the Big Ten (giving them sixteen schools despite the name). The two southern California schools are two of Cal’s three rivals (along with Stanfurd). This will have a devastating impact on the conference as a whole and Cal in particular. The loss of revenue will be staggering. People in the know speculate that the Bears' only chance of survival (yes, it’s that bad) is to also join the Big Ten — if they are wanted there. College football is a mere shadow of what it used to be and it is looking to get even worse. The big schools will survive and prosper (the rich getting richer in the US? Who’d have thought it). The situation constantly reminds of the song, Look What They’ve Done to My Song by Melanie. “Look what they’ve done to my song ma, it was the only thing that I could do half right but it’s turning out all wrong…” The more things change the worse they get. I can’t even escape the pain and heartache of the world today through college football anymore. Bad news is everywhere. 

At least there are photos of moose to look at.

No comments: