15 October 2018

The Author Takes on a Variety of Topics Including Films, Politics, The Middle of Nowhere and Whistling

If you take the outside off of something exposing the inside of it isn't the inside now on the outside?

You often hear that what goes around comes around but I'm pretty damn sure that a lot of things just keep going. You also hear about karmic justice but there's plenty of evidence that sometimes there is no justice. Payback is a bitch, but it doesn't always come. Where is the payback, the karmic justice, the comes around of the slaughter of  Native Americans that took place over hundreds of years after the Europeans arrived on this continent? If there ever is such justice, payback and coming around it isn't going to do a lot of good to the generations of tribes that were all but wiped out.

Why do people think it's okay to have phone conversations in public places while surrounded by other human beings? I don't see this ever stopping and it's damn aggravating. I just can't wrap my mind around someone sitting on a bus with strangers all about and yakking away.

The missus and I saw the latest incarnation of A Star is Born the other day and it is one of those rare films I can unequivocally recommend to anyone and everyone. It won't be my favorite movie of the year but it is one I can suggest people see regardless of how well or how little I know them and without regard to what other types of films they like or don't like. Lady Gaga was a revelation and Bradley Cooper, who wrote, directed and co-starred was no slouch either.

I've just come across the Scottish director Lynne Ramsey. Over the course of the last 19 years she's only directed four films and they've all been good -- check that, very good. I saw her most recent first,  Joaquin Phoenix in You Were Never Really Here. Her first film was Ratcatcher, her second Morvern Callar starring Samantha Morton and her third We Need to Talk About Kevin, which starred Tilda Swinton in a masterful performance. Ramsey has a great visual style and is particularly adept at using music to underscore her story. I just wished she'd make more.

Recently in virtually the same breath our moronic president praised Robert E. Lee and suggested that African Americans should vote Republican. Okay so which is it, you gonna tell black people that a slaveholding racist who fought a rebellion against the United States is a great guy or you going to try to convince them to vote for your party? Well it ain't gonna happen President Dipshit. Kanye or no. And by the way, Kanye West is a frickin' idiot.

Anyone else hear that climate change is not only real but has already started wreaking havoc? And yet our "government" is twiddling its thumbs. It's literally the worst crisis since....geez,  it's the worst ever and President Brainless is in total denial. He says climate scientists have "an agenda" -- yeah to save the fucking planet.

I mentioned this recently on twitter but it bears repeating. Notice how people are always "in the middle of nowhere?" How come they don't get to the outskirts of nowhere and turn the fuck around? Why do they continue on to the middle? I'd at least stop a few hundred yards from the middle of nowhere and get back toward somewhere. Anywhere is better than nowhere. I just had a thought, is nowhere in everywhere? I mean everywhere encompasses everyplace and if nowhere is a place than it must be within the confines of everywhere. If it is, is it still nowhere? I'm guessing that some place else is also within everywhere.

I'm quoting this from some other guy on twitter: "51 Senators who represent 40% of the population will confirm a SCOTUS nominee who has the support of under 40% of the population, and was nominated by a man who came in 2nd in the popular vote. Can we stop saying the US is the greatest democracy in the world? It was never true." I wished I'd written that myself because it's damn good. At least I had the decency to share it with y'all, so you're welcome.

The new kid on the Supreme Court, ya know, the sex deviant, has had more run-ins with the law and more accusations of inappropriate behavior than I have and I'm just some idiot with a blog. They really oughta have a screening process before they put unqualified jerks on the highest court in the land. For that matter we really should weed out people who try to run for the presidency keeping out the dimwits who don't know the US Constitution from TV Guide.

Here's something that chaps my hide (hey, what doesn't these days, am I right?) people are trying to rehabilitate George W Bush just because the current occupant of the Oval Office is an even bigger idiot than he was. How about let's try him for war crimes first? His illegal invasion of Iraq under false pretenses remains the biggest foreign policy disaster in US history and that's saying something considering how royally this country has screwed up so many times on foreign soil.

A couple of weeks ago we had rain -- just a little, mind you -- for the first time in four months. Some people acted like we were undergoing monsoon season. Then again when we finally had rain after the worst draught in state history people complained then too. I hate to say it but some people are morons when it comes to rain. Rain is good. I don't really need to explain that, do I?

Not good. Whistling in the locker room. Done with it. Does this happen in women's locker rooms? It's annoying because 90% of the time it's just noise and not a recognizable tune.

There are things that people do that not only don't bother me, but that I rather appreciate. Smiling. Opening doors for others. Helping the needy. Fighting for social justice. Making art. Fixing things. Doing favors. Being complimentary. Cleaning up after themselves. Working agains the racist regime of President LardButt. Stuff like that. Keep it up people.

No comments: