17 December 2008

Warning to all Parisians: I'm coming!


The countdown is about over and in approximately eight hours our flight will depart from San Francisco International Airport for points East. Specifically to Paris via London. I love flying, which would be infinitely more convenient if I had my own wings. As it is I must settle for taking passage on airplanes.

One of the things I love most about flying is that is means I'm going somewhere. Unfortunately I've spent far too much of my life in one place or another and not enough of it jet-setting around the globe to fabulous locales. But as George Bailey learned, it's a wonderful life nonetheless.

There'll be much to see in Paris and London and I'll try to record my impressions of it right here on this very blog. I'm not sure how updating the blog will work out during our stay. It may have to wait until we return on New Year's day.

I look forward to seeing the beaches of Normandy, the trip to London for the Arsenal match and umpteen sites in Paris. Of course, to me, one of the best things about going to a foreign land is not just seeing the famous sites, but just being there period. I look forward to riding the Metro, sitting in a cafe and strolling through neighborhoods.

So packing is just about done, the house is clean and secure and its off we go. Yippee!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Obviously I am seething with jealousy that you are going to the city of my dreams right now, whereas I am sitting at home in America and not going anywhere. But I hope you have a fabulous time anyway and enjoy the vacation with your daughters. I'm sure it will be a trip to remember. When you're sitting at an outdoor cafe sipping coffee, drink one for me!

Anonymous said...

I too, am envious! Hope your family has a wonderful trip.
Charlene

cagliostro said...

"I look forward to riding the Metro", oh my god is this what americans dream to do in Paris.

Well it's strange how some countries ordinary and unpleasant things are such a "dream" for people from other countries. I have some friends that went to USA and took photos of giant hamburgers in a restaurant !

Well i hope you had a good séjour in Paris. As an ethnologic study i'm going to read your various articles on your trip.

Au revoir from a natural born parisian